Sunday, May 18, 2008

Small Island Freaks

Since I moved to Brrringland two months ago (P and I celebrated our 6th month wedding anniversary yesterday, thanks Yeller Fever, Wholesome Canadian Mum, Huney and co I MISS YOU GUYS SOOOOO MUCH!!!), I have met some great people from back home. I prefer not to socialize with my colleagues so have had to make friends by other means.

During Christmas last year, I joined a social group that meets for dim sum once a month. It's always a lot of fun and we always eat way too much. It's great to hang out with people from the same part of the world as me as we understand each other pretty well.

Having said that, I have come across a couple of people from our Small Island, whom I don't understand at all!

A couple of weeks ago, this girl, let's call her Goondoo, sent me a message via facebook. We started chatting and she seemed very keen to meet up. I invited her to come for lunch one weekend and she was very excited. However, on the day itself, she sent me a message saying she wasn't coming over because she felt uncomfortable as we hadn't met before!

Needless to say, I was none too pleased as I had already prepared the curry. I asked Goondoo why she said yes in the first place when she had doubts and told her that she had wasted my time. As a perfect example of how stupid this girl is, she was even surprised that I no longer wanted anything to do with her! I blocked her from MSN and haven't answered any of the emails she has since sent. This girl obviously does not know me because if she did, she would not waste her time trying to convince me otherwise.

I told the Organizer of our dim sum lunch about Goondoo and he was not surprised. In fact, he says that this happens a lot. He showed me posts on our overseas portal of some other Small Island Freaks who had done exactly the same thing as Goondoo.

It didn't stop there though, the Organizer MSNed me yesterday and told me that he was supposed to meet up with this girl, the Baker, we had met on facebook. I said to him, "Don't tell me, she backed out!" True to form, she had because her flatmate was afraid to meet a 'stranger' and the Baker was afraid to go by herself in case she got lost on public transport! I kid you not people, there really ARE ridiculous people like that out there.

If they are going to behave this way, I wonder why they even bother leaving our Small Island! One word of advice to them: stay in your rabbit holes and DON'T contact me on facebook or otherwise. Different cultural experiences are obviously too much for your weak little hearts and I have better things to do with my time. Like look for beautiful sapphire rings!

No comments: