Monday, September 10, 2012

A Summer of Epic Inspiration and Minor Irritations

Unless you've been living under a rock for the past few months, you'll know that Blundon has been awash with sport this summer.  The city has hosted both the Olympics (fab, except for the crowded trains) and the Paralympics (even more fab, but crowded transport was still an annoyance).

Before the Paralympics started, both P and I didn't think we'd be that bothered about watching the coverage. We were all 'sported out' after two weeks of the Olympics.  However, once the second round of games started, it was virtually impossible to stop watching.  We were all at once blown away by the immense courage, spirit and talent shown by the disabled athletes.  Competitors with no limbs, dwarfism, cerebral palsy and other degenerative muscular diseases, various levels of blindness and so on were performing at a level that most able-bodied people can only dream of reaching.  I mean, one swimmer with no arms won his heat!! Wha-what?!!  The games opened up the eyes of many people in this country, and I hope worldwide as well, as to what disabled people are able to achieve.

There were some moments during the games when the athletes really touched our hearts.  In spite of how much more difficult life can be, most are indomitable, humble and kind to each other.  It's hard to put into words but often when we were watching the games, I felt almost unworthy. I know I wasn't the only one who got emotional when a 14-year-old Ukranian swimmer with an advanced muscular disorder went up on the podium to receive her gold medal.  Because of the severity of her shaking limbs, she could barely take a few steps on her own.  Yet, when the silver and bronze winners congratulated each other, she leaped across and threw her arms around the both of them.  Even the male broadcasters were audibly moved.  When P went to work the next day, one of his colleagues told him that his wife was crying her eyes out over that incident and that the guy himself couldn't speak as he was so close to tears.

It was all over the media about how the disable athletes were an inspiration to the rest of the population, so much so that it almost became a cliche. However, even the most hardened cynic was humbled by what was on the TV every day, regardless of the sport. The stories that came out during the games were the most awe-inspiring of all.  Men and women who have faced immense adversity in life but are still positive.  Just in the pool, there was the Iranian with stunted limbs who was adopted by an Australian woman, the American Naval Officer who was blinded in Afghanistan only a year ago, the young American girl with no legs who won a fistful of golds and believes her purpose in life is to be a role model to people...the list goes on.

And on a more frivolous note, my perception now is that it is cool to be a Paralympian!  I mean, just take a look at Oscar Pistorius.  Can anyone deny he's anything other than at the top of his game, well-spoken, a role model and ahem..hot?!!  P did laugh at me when I was ogling some of the more, shall we say, well-built Paralympians. But the way I see it, I'm just appreciating all the wonderful and unique people that God has created. :-)

One profound effect of watching the amazing athletes night after night was that it made me less patient (not one of my strong points at the best of times anyway) towards the idiotic people I work with.  At the office, it is constant politics and drama from the senior manager managers in particular.  When you chase money as your God, you become less caring and more self-centered.  It's often all about 'me, me me' with those guys. Unfortunately, I have bills to pay so I still have to put up with that BS.  But I do try to focus on the positives in my life outside of work and I LIVE FOR FRIDAYS!

The weekend that just passed was fabulous.  On Saturday, we were invited to the Wisley Flower Show by our friends the Growers.  They had a marque and as the weather was so warm, there were lots of visitors and they sold loads of plants!  We had a lovely morning chatting with them, walking around the gardens and looking at all the beautiful wares on offer.  On Sunday, I went shopping in Wimbledon and picked up some nice clothes for work, so all in all, it was a perfect weekend.  Now if only every day could be a Saturday or Sunday.  Well, one can dream!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's wonderful to see you back blogging my darling, I've missed keeping up with your life (How creepy does that sound?)! Hoping you are happy and healthy, loads of love and hugs xxx