Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Dreaded C Word

In my last entry, I mentioned feeling great sorrow because of losing Lainey to cancer.

It's only been in the last few months that I have started to feel comfortable and happy in this country. A large part of this has been due to the friends that we have met here. Just a few days after I wrote that blog, we received the devastating news that one of our new friends has skin cancer.

We hope that because it was caught in the early stages that Smiley will make a full recovery. The medical team has moved very quickly and he's already had an operation to remove the affected area. However, as with every cancer case, it is a waiting game. Sometimes you pull the short straw and sometimes if you're very lucky, you don't.

P and I are of course both worried, but thinking positive thoughts for him and praying every day.

I myself am in shock as you can all imagine. Smiley and his wife are a wonderful couple i.e. kind, generous, sweet and funny. Although we haven't known them for very long, P and I really care for them. When we get together, it is constant laughter and hilarity. Although they are a little older than us, we have a lot in common. They really are lovely and I know that if any of you met them, you would feel the same.

As I end this short entry today, I ask if all of you could pray for Smiley's rapid recovery and remission in whatever faith that you believe in. Thank you very much and I will keep you posted on how he is doing.

No comments: