Sunday, September 7, 2008

A Woman Needs Her Friends

This has been a particular tough week for me. I have been in this country for almost six months and I realize that I don't like it any more than when I first arrived in mid-March. Besides the inefficiency and bad weather, I also miss my friends like crazy. I have met some nice people through the Small Island social group here, but we all live very far from each other and I don't have the history with them as I do with you guys, friends that I've known for quite some time.

Although the work I do in my job is pretty interesting, my colleagues are not. Unfortunately, most of the others are small town girls who have never lived abroad. They have no idea of what life is like outside of Brrringland. They may have travelled, but then spent their time sheltered in a resort so they have no concept of how other nationalities live. I have nothing in common with them except possibly a love of shopping and champagne, but how much can you talk about that?

On Friday night, our wedding MC came over for dinner with her friend. It was particularly wondertul to see her. She totally understood when I told her that I've noticed that the Ang Mo Brrrringlish (AMB) people prefer to sit on the train with other AMBs. When I first mentioned it to P a few weeks ago, he thought it was my imagination. However, he saw this for himself when he went into work on the train with me one day (normally he cycles to the office). We sat on a long bench for five people and it faces another long bench. On the opposite side were four big AMBs. On our side was a small Indian guy about my size, an empty seat, me, P and another person. At one of the stations, a very tall, well-built AMB entered the carriage. He looked at both benches and predictably, squeezed his very big self into the small space with the other AMBs. I said to P, "See what I mean?!!"

It's sad as people can be so small-minded. The bad thing is that I have to live amongst them and look at their sour faces all day long!

Yesterday, my friend of 11 years, the New Dad came to stay with us with his partner, the New Mum (I've known her for 10 years). I met both of them when they worked on our Small Island all those years ago. I introduced them in 1998 and they have been together ever since. 17 months ago, they had a lovely baby boy. Although the house was noisy and chaotically overrun with baby clothes and paraphernalia, having the three of them around was a balm to my jaded soul. They are very down-to-earth (as my friends need to be), sincere, open and intelligent people. Their baby was happy, easy to be around and kept himself entertained by running around the table and trying on P's shoes!

Today, we all took the train to see another friend, China W's Wife (CWW), whom we've also known for 10 years. She too worked on our the Small Island at the same embassy as the New Mum. CWW and her husband have two beautiful little Eurasian girls. After lunch, we sat in their living room where the three kids played together. I looked at all of them and it was almost surreal to see how life has moved on since we all first met, but in a positive way. They are all parents now (very good ones) and I am married with dog.

I have to say I feel very proud to call these wonderful people my friends. They have shown me real love and understanding over the years. Seeing them as well as the MC drove home one thing to me: that I may not like this country (that is an understatement ha ha), but I can certainly make the best of it. I can try to rise above the detritis and spend as much time as possible with my friends who live in this part of the world. After all, who knows what life will bring next? We don't know how long we will be staying here as my heart does belong to the Small Island.

As the new week begins, I have much more to look forward to. My young cousin arrives on Tuesday on a working holiday visa and will stay with us for a few weeks while she finds her way around the city. Then in a couple of weeks, P and I fly off to France where we will see the MC. So roll on September!

No comments: